Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year Resolutions 2012 : Building New Foundations

Stout Grove, Jedidiah Smith Redwood State Park
Oregon, US. Sept 2010

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there"
~ Yogi Berra


The good thing about having a 101 things to do in 1001 days list is you don't have to think too much about new year resolutions since you already know what you want to do. 

With 101 things to complete over 1001 days, theoretically I need to complete one thing every 10 days or 3 things every month. But some goals are long-term, such as #25 Draw one thing every week for 52 weeks, so in practise, that is not feasible. The main thing is to start 3 or 4 new things every month and I will get there within the 1001 days. That is what I hope, anyway. 

 1001 days is effectively 2.75 years. It's tough to keep the momentum going and the motivation up for that length of time. A quick google showed loads of blogs doing the 101 things in 1001 days, but most have not been updated for a long time. I think it's safe to assume that most of these folks have given up. 

My strategy to counteract 101 fatigue is to focus on a theme, doing only one or two new things at a time, and resist the temptation to try and do everything at once, which only leads to giving up on everything. 

Since burning the bridge with the corporate world, I find myself rather undisciplined and unfocused. There are no timelines to meet and no one to be accountable to. There's no rush to do anything, which is a sure-fire formula to ambling along slowly. And without a structure to my day, I have been rather lax about building a new life for myself.

So, My theme for 2012 is: Building New Foundations


This is what I will focus on for 2012: 

1. Structure my day....get up and go to bed at reasonable times. eat at normal meal-times. (#2, #3, #34, #52)
2. Be more healthy.....Start walking 3 times a week at least. Find a new yoga class (#9, #10)
3. Give up smoking (#53)
4. Be mentally healthy and build mental resilience......Meditate every day for at least 15 mins and practise mindfulness (#8, #42)
5. Get my finances in order and get more clued up about investment and the stock market (#7, #22, #23, #24, #28, #85)
6. Continue to learn and expand my mental horizons......Re-start and complete the Fashion Design Diploma (#44)
7. Build up creative skills......Do Something creative every day .....art, fashion or writing. (#84)
(Total: 17 things)

Other things I plan to do in 2012, which are one-off items or a continuation of what I am focusing on: 
#20. Buy a watch
#21. Buy a lottery ticket
#32. Get laptop fixed 
#36. Have proper checkups with doctor, dentist & optician
#37. Sew seat cushions (0/3).....finally get those seat cushions done!
#40. Keep a travel journal.....figure out if I want to revive/re-organise my old travel blog or start all over, and journal my South American trip. 
#41. Set up a system for, and get into the habit of backing up my computer data
#45. Create a home management notebook
#46. Read the entire bible again
#47. Tone up stomach!
#48. Buy an i-phone, android or i-pad
#50. Start a retirement fund
#58. Be on time for work/class every day for a month (0/30)
#59. Stop putting off what can be done today
#73. Repaint my room
#74. Hang all the paintings and pictures on the wall
#76. Hike the Inca Trail and see Machu Pichu......air-tickets booked
#77. Explore South America......air-tickets booked
#90. Vote in an election.....if they don't postpone the election in 2012
(Total: 19) 

Things to continue in 2012: 
#5. develop the habit of only opening my computer after I've had breakfast and done my morning routine (28/30)
#13. start a blog and make 100 posts (62/100) 
#25. Draw at least one thing a week (16/52)
#27. Read 50 books (13/50) 
#31. Buy a new camera and learn to use it.....camera bought. Continue to take photos and familarise myself with all the functions. 
#38. Learn how to sew my own clothes and make 1 item a month for 12 months (1/12) 
# 71. Complete one creative writing project each month for a year (1/12)
(Total: 7)

TOTAL: 36 new things to do, 7 things to continue to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment